Thursday, October 3, 2013

Recipe: Homemade Tartar Sauce

This is my first official recipe that I have posted - yahoo!  It's a doozy too... not really, but it's quick and easy.  It has also become the condiment of choice around here for dipping - who knew!

Last weekend, I made a wonderful shallow fried flounder recipe that I received in my 'weekly' from my Weight Watchers meeting the prior week.  It noted that it should be served with tartar sauce but we did not have any. I find it hard to keep bottled tartar sauce in the fridge since in the past it was very rarely used and super duper loaded with calories and fat.  Then I remembered that I saw a tartar sauce recipe in Cooking Light, but I could not for the life of me remember where the heck that particular magazine was (big surprise), so I winged it AND I made it lighter. 

I love mayo as much as the next guy, but honestly, that may be the reason I'm in weight watchers, so alas, I've been trying to add fat free Greek yogurt in equal parts to mayo when called for in a recipe. I've been doing this a lot lately and it is getting rave reviews from the family.  My husband says it tastes lighter and less heavy like the real stuff, this is awesome since he normally doesn't like this sort of product.  The kids say, "It's just plain good, Mom." It works people - really! Since I made this recipe up with a vague recollection from something I saw in Cooking Light, it's best not to contact them and complain if you hate it, but I'll bet your tator tots that you'll love it!!

Homemade Tartar Sauce
makes about 1 cup of sauce

Ingredients:
1/4 C. light mayo
1/4 C. fat free Greek yogurt
1/2 C. dill pickles, chopped finely
1 1/2 Tsp. Dijon mustard
1 T lemon juice (or maybe it was a tad more)

Measure out mayo, yogurt, mustard, and lemon juice into a small bowl. Measure dill pickles and chop them finely on a cutting board - it will look like a lot but it's all good.  Add them to the rest of the ingredients and mix well. 

You can make this ahead or just before using it, either way it will taste great.  This should keep in the fridge for a long while, but I suspect it will disappear quickly.

Adapted from Cooking Light.

Enjoy,
J.K. Sasse

No comments:

Post a Comment